Is there anything better than eating a hot bowl of soup on a cold day in the middle of winter or on one of those early spring days when it suddenly turns back into winter for the day? The only thing better, in my mind anyway, is eating it while you’re sitting by a nice fire and wearing your comfiest clothes.
Sweet potato soup is one of my favorite soups to make on wintery days because of its rich flavor that’s both savory and sweet.
So, let’s get right to it. This is how I make creamy sweet potato soup.
This blog features Amazon Associate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read the full disclosure.
How to Make Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
10+ years ago, when I first started making sweet potato soup, I didn’t add any herbs or wine. I simply used College Inn Culinary Chicken Broth White Wine & Herb, but it’s no longer available. This recipe allows for the use of homemade broth, so while it has a few more ingredients, it is less reliant on convenience foods.
- 1 large to 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 of 1 large red onion or 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons (T) of butter
- 3/4 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon (t) of rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon (t) of thyme
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon (t) of nutmeg
- Poke the sweet potatoes several times with a fork, and bake them at 450 degrees F for approximately an hour on a baking sheet or in aluminum foil. Let the sweet potatoes cool before handling.
- Sweat the onions in butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the sweet potatoes, yogurt, chicken broth, wine, and herbs to the onions and butter and puree with an immersion blender.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in or garnish with the nutmeg and serve.
Which Wine Do I Use in Sweet Potato Soup?
While the general wisdom about cooking with white wine says that you should use wine that’s dry and crisp, and I do suggest Chardonnay, if you have nothing else on hand but a sweet white wine, this recipe may be able to handle it. It’s already a sweet soup, so it’s less likely to ruin the flavor like it might in some dishes. I’ve even made this soup with Glinda’s Gold hard cider from Critz Farms, and it was delicious.
Other Soup Recipes You May Enjoy
If you really love soup, you may also like my recipe for garden-fresh tomato soup. And be sure to check out this list of 70 recipes for homemade soup from Taste of Home.
One thought on “Creamy Sweet Potato Soup”